IndieMade Review: Is Writing for IndieMade a Scam?
IndieMade is an easy website creation for artists to sell their crafts. Indie art is short for independent art or artisan. IndieMade also has a blog for which they need writers
In this IndieMade review, I’ll cover how to pitch an article and how much you’re paid.
If you’re interested in working from home as a writer, I highly recommend the course at 30 Days or Less to Freelance Writing Success! I took the course and now work at home part-time as a freelance writer!
IndieMade Writer Requirements
As usual, you’ll need a computer, internet, and good writing skills. It will be a bonus if you are a crafter or artisan of some sort, as you’ll be writing about arts and crafts. You also need to be familiar with the grammatical conventions of the Chicago Manual of Style.
IndieMade Writer Application Process
I had to send a few emails to IndieMade to figure out exactly how to apply. On the website, they say you will select from a list of topics. But I couldn’t find the list of topics to choose from! After 2 failed email attempts, I used the contact form on their website and received a response in return.
So, straight from Andrew at IndieMade, go here and fill out the form. What you need to do is pitch a story or a series of stories to the IndieMade editorial team. You should also include your resume and links to things you’ve written. He sent me a link which is what I posted above. Here it is again.
The form asks for your name, email, phone number, and address. There are also 3 checkboxes to agree to the following documents:
- IndieMade Ownership and Confidentiality Agreement
- It states that IndieMade will own the rights to whatever you write for them
- They will own the copyright and can name anyone they choose as the author
- They will give you credit at their discretion
- Writer Guidelines
- This is the guideline which I found that differs from the instructions I received from Andrew at IndieMade
- This also gives you guidelines regarding how to post, the images, and what writing formats to follow
- Invoicing and payments are discussed here
- This document contradicts the previous document and states that writers will receive credit on the IndieMade.com website
- IndieMade Content Rate Card
- The rate card is discussed below with how much IndieMade pays their blog writers
After you’ve checked that you agree to all of the above, they give you a blank field to input why you would be a good IndieMade blog contributor. This is where you can post links to your work. Remember to also include your resume and your story suggestion.
It’s not perfect. None of it is perfect. What I mean is that I had originally sent an email to the editor, which is the instructions on the website, and that email was rejected as address not found. Not only that, the instructions differ from what was sent back to me.
I don’t like it when the instructions are not crystal clear. Even when you go to the form, it does not say to include your resume or a story suggestion, but Andrew who emailed me back said to be sure to include those items.
Last Month I Made $13,841 Online
Make sure to learn how you can get started for free!
How Much Does IndieMade Pay Blog Writers?
IndieMade has a published rate card. Their rates are as follows:
- They will pay $0.05 per word for a pre-approved, accurate, blog post (must be accurate, edited, and include resources and one original image for every 200 words)
- If your pictures must include credits, they will pay you $0.045 per word for the same as above
- Without images, they will pay $0.04 per word for the same as above
An image that requires credits is defined as any of the following:
- The image is owned by the contributor
- The image is being used with permission of the copyright owner
- This image is in the public domain and or licensed under creative commons and must include commercial attribution
IndieMade also publishes video posts. Here is what they pay for video posts:
- They pay $60.00 for a 2-minute pre-approved video post; it must be factually accurate, must have been edited, and must be high resolution (at least 720+ pix wide) and must include 1 paragraph describing the footage
- They also pay $60.00 for a 2-minute pre-approved Screencast, with the same requirements as above
When Does IndieMade Pay Blog Writers?
IndieMade pays their blog writers by check or PayPal, based on the current rate card. They pay within 30 days of receiving the invoice from the writer.
Your schedule as a writer will almost always be whatever you want it to be. One of the benefits of freelance writing is that you can do as much or as little as you want, and you can do it whenever and wherever you want. Your schedule should be completely what you want it to be.
I didn’t find any feedback from IndieMade blog writers. Have you written for IndieMade? I hope you’ll comment on this post to tell us about it!
Is Writing Blog Posts for IndieMade a Scam?
Based on my research, writing for IndieMade is not a scam. I believe it’s legit because I received two emails back from someone at IndieMade. If it weren’t for that, I would say there are too many issues with their emails and contradicting instructions. But I think it’s real. If you want to give it a try, go here to submit your info, resume, and sample posts.
If writing isn’t your thing, check out these helpful links for some other ideas: