How To Start A Profitable WordPress Blog For Cheap!
If you’re looking to start a WordPress Blog for cheap, you’re in the right place. On this page, I’ll cover the steps you need to take to get started with your very own blog.
I’ve personally been blogging for over two years, so I’ll also make a few recommendations on this page. The first thing I’ll recommend is taking a look at Wealthy Affiliate. It’s easier than ever to start your blog, but Wealthy Affiliate gives you free tools and the support you’ll need to get started.
If you’d like to do it all on your own, I’ll cover the initial steps to starting and making your blog profitable below!
There’re many options for most of these steps, I have made recommendations based on what I’ve tried, but if you have questions about a different service you’d like to use just leave me a comment below this information.
How To Start A Profitable WordPress Blog!
1) Purchase A Domain Name
The first step to starting your own blog is purchasing a domain name. I highly recommend staying away from a free blogging service, in the long run, it’s a major advantage to own the domain name of your blog. It’s a minimal investment of $10-$12 a year, so please make the investment up front.
I have a guide for you, here’re some tips on choosing an awesome domain name.
I purchase all of my domain names from NamesCheap, but there’re other options out there, really any place that offers hosting also lets you buy domain names.
Where you buy your domain isn’t that important, just make sure it is a reputable company.
2) Find Blog Hosting
Hosting is not a huge deal at the beginning, but it is important to get set up with reliable hosting to avoid headaches down the road. When starting a new website you can usually get by with a cheap hosting account, but as your blog grows you will most likely need to upgrade your hosting to deal with the increase in traffic.
Later on, I’ll be talking about Wealthy Affiliate, they include free hosting with a membership and it’s 100% worth using, but if you don’t want to go that route Blue Host is probably the easiest to get started with.
I do not recommend Host Gator for beginners.
As I mentioned, start with a cheap hosting plan to keep start-up costs low, as your blog traffic/income increase, you can upgrade your plan. Or you can check out Wealthy Affiliate and get free hosting forever!
3) Install WordPress
Once you purchase a domain and hosting, you can access your site (I won’t get into details because it differs based on your hosting provider and plan). When you first access your site there’s nothing there; you’ll need to install WordPress on your domain before moving forward. It’s extremely easy to do with most hosting providers that have a one click method.
4) Choose A WordPress Theme
This is by far the least important step, but I want to include it so I can share some advice. You can change your WordPress theme at any time, with a few clicks. Especially with a new site, there’s not much work needed to change your theme.
When you choose your first theme, take a few minutes to find a responsive theme (optimized for different devices) that’s simple. The more blank space, the better in most cases. Find something you like visually and move on.
Eventually, you’ll probably find that the free theme you’re using doesn’t have all the features you’re needing. No worries, most themes do have paid versions that give you more features. Personally, I use Thrive Themes (and a few of their plugins), but I don’t recommend paying for a theme when starting. PICK A THEME AND MOVE ON ALREADY!
5) Install Important Plugins
There’re a few important plugins that all WordPress sites need. You’ll also find plugins that will add additional features to your site. Most of the essential plugins you’ll need are completely free, and I always recommend free plugins to start out. If there’s not a free plugin that will work, you can always find a paid theme/plugin that does what you’re needing.
You can see the plugins I use at Online Business Tools I Use.
6) Content & Traffic
The most important step of starting a blog is the content you create and bringing traffic to that content. There’s many ways to bring traffic to your blog, for example, organic search (Search Engine), paid search, social media, direct, and referral.
Let me make it clear that the key to making your blog profitable is creating excellent content and driving traffic to your blog. Since this is the most important part of the process, I highly recommend investing in some training. There’re many e-books and e-courses out there, but here’s a few that I highly recommend:
- Wealthy Affiliate (e-course community, My #1 Recommendation)
- How To Blog For Profit Without Selling Your Soul (e-book)
- Money Blog (e-book)
By far the most comprehensive course is Wealthy Affiliate (you can try for free too), but you can check the links and see if investing in the other options are best for you.
7) Make Your Blog Profitable
The last step is making your blog profitable, basically making money from your blog. There’re endless ways to make money from your blog, but don’t expect to make a dime before you have excellent content and traffic.
Some popular ways to monetize your blog are affiliate marketing, ad networks, and sponsored posts. I use Affiliate Marketing as my main source of income from all my blogs, but how you monetize your blog is up to you.
You can learn more about monetizing your blog from one of the e-courses listed above; I highly recommend Wealthy Affiliate. You can also see how I monetize this blog by checking out my Income Reports.
A Much Easier Option…Wealthy Affiliate
Hopefully, you enjoyed the seven steps I covered to starting your own profitable blog if you put in the time and work you can start a profitable blog. If you do decide to start a blog using the seven steps above, you’ll need to sign up for a few different sites and make some small investments.
I’d like to cover an option that can make this process easier on you. It’s a site called Wealthy Affiliate (I’ve mentioned it a few times already), it’s pretty much an all in one e-course that can take you through these 7 steps and offers tools to make it easier. Below I’ll list the 7 steps again and how Wealthy Affiliate can help you with it.
1) Purchase Domain: Wealthy Affiliate has domain name purchase built into their training. No need to purchase a domain name on another site and go through the hassle of changing your DNS settings, just purchase the domain name at Wealthy Affiliate and they’ll do it all for you!
2) Find Blog Hosting: Without Wealthy Affiliate you can find some pretty cheap hosting to start with, but eventually you’ll need to upgrade to a more expensive plan. With Wealthy Affiliate you have access to unlimited free hosting for life!
3) Install WordPress: Installing WordPress isn’t difficult if you have the knowledge, but for a complete beginner it can be a hell of a task. When you start a website at Wealthy Affiliate WordPress is already installed.
4) Choose A WordPress Theme: Wealthy Affiliate offers 1,000s of free WordPress themes available for install with a simple click, you can learn more about the tool at How To Build A WordPress Site in under 30 seconds.
5) Install Important Plugins: There’re plugins that your blog won’t be able to function without, just like installing WordPress it can be a pain for newbies. Every site created at Wealthy Affiliate has the essential plugins already installed.
6) Content & Traffic: Wealthy Affiliate has 7 modules of training covering how to build a blog, create content, and drive traffic to your blog. This training is what I’ve used to grow traffic and income to my blogs.
7) Make Your Blog Profitable: Wealthy Affiliate has training on how to monetize your website, mainly focusing on Affiliate Marketing (usually the most profitable way to monetize your blog).
As you can see Wealthy Affiliate is pretty much in all in one e-course with all the training and tools, you’ll need to start a profitable blog. You can even sign up for free by using the link below:
I’ve covered a ton of information on this page about starting your own profitable blog. I know you have questions, so please leave concerns in the comment section below.
I have used Wealthy Affiliate to learn how to blog and feel like it’s the obvious choice once you see the training and all the tools included with the membership, but of course, that choice is yours. You can try Wealthy Affiliate for free or go at it on your own by following the 7 steps laid out above!
Ready To Start Your First Profitable Blog? What Method Will You Choose?