PandaTree Review: Is Tutoring for PandaTree a Scam or Legit?
PandaTree was founded by a mom who needed a tutor for her children who were Mandarin Immersion students. They provide online tutoring for kids ages 5 to 15 through fun and engaging video conferencing.
PandaTree is currently hiring native speaking Spanish tutors. In this review, I will look at the opportunity offered by PandaTree and decide if it’s a scam or legit.
PandaTree has some strict requirements, so it might not be for everyone, if you’re looking for English tutoring, check out these ESL companies.
Spanish Tutoring for PandaTree
PandaTree tutors help kids improve their Spanish fluency by having fun and interesting conversations over a video-conferencing system. They try to discuss topics that the child is passionate about and focus less on word drills and grammar. PandaTree provides photos, poems, and short videos which the tutors can use to spark fun conversations. Tutors should be gentle to help with new words or corrections as needed to add new words to the student’s personalized word list.
Here are the requirements for Spanish-speaking tutors:
- You must be a native-fluency Spanish speaker
- You also need to have strong English speaking skills
- If you are in school, you should be a 4th-year undergrad, Masters, or Ph.D. student, or a recent graduate from a top-rated university
- You should be patient, kind, and fun, with an engaging and encouraging presence by video-conference
- Experience working with children or an interest in early childhood education is a plus
- You must be permitted to work in the US or Canada
- You’ll need reliable, high-speed internet
- You must have a quiet, private, distraction-free room to conduct the video-conference tutoring sessions
- Punctuality for tutoring sessions must be a priority
- Afternoon, evening, and weekend availability is preferred, as most tutoring is done after school and in the evenings, or on weekends
- You should be willing and able to commit to 9 or more months with PandaTree
PandaTree Application Process
If you want to apply to be a Spanish tutor for PandaTree, you can get started on the application right here.
They want you to include a short cover letter explaining your Spanish skill level and your interest or experience working with children. This would be great for a Spanish speaking education major!
When you get to the application, if you have LinkedIn, you can save time by applying with LinkedIn. When you click to apply with LinkedIn, it will auto-fill the application, and you’ll just need to review and make updates as necessary. Here’s what you’ll find on the application:
- Personal Info:
- Upload photo
- Upload resume
- Application Details
- Cover letter (This is where they want to know more about your interest in working with kids, or any prior experience you have)
- Questions (“check mark” for YES, “X” for NO):
- Are you living in the US or Canada?
- Are you legally allowed to work in the US or Canada?
- Have you worked before as a language tutor?
- What times are you available to work? They give you an example; remember to include your time zone!
That’s it! Submit your application! PandaTree is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment.
Last Month I Made $13,841 Online
Make sure to learn how you can get started for free!
Perspective tutors are set up to provide tutoring sessions to 3 different kids. Immediately after the sessions, the child provides feedback. After that, a certified teacher will then evaluate the recording of the sessions. Once you’ve passed the kid tests and the teacher reviews, PandaTree will check your references. According to the FAQ’s that were created for inquiring parents, only a fraction of the tutors who start the process will end up becoming tutors for PandaTree.
It sounds like you should only apply if you truly believe that you are qualified!
How Much Does PandaTree Pay?
The PandaTree website claims to pay tutors $15 or more per hour. It is uncertain if this is based on talk time, or if it’s just straight hours. I also couldn’t find when or how they pay, whether it’s via PayPal, direct deposit, or live checks. Those seem to be the most common. Or if it’s monthly or bi-monthly, for example.
PandaTree tutors enjoy a flexible schedule, working when it suits them best. Tutors work 15 to 25 hours per week from their home office or even from their dorm room.
This job is good for students and graduate students as you will get time off for holidays and exams.
Tutoring sessions are 25 or 50 minutes. Each session will require 5-20 minutes of prep time. Sessions are recorded for later review by the student and also to ensure quality.
I couldn’t find any feedback from PandaTree tutors or former tutors. I hate when I can’t find feedback! Please people, go to Glassdoor and leave feedback for your jobs and former jobs! Even your side gigs! It helps others to hear what former employees think!
Is Tutoring for PandaTree a Scam?
Regardless of the lack of feedback, based on my research, PandaTree tutoring is not a scam! If you’re a fluent Spanish speaking with tutoring experience, give it a go! Click here to get your application started.
Don’t speak Spanish? Check out these helpful links for some other ideas: