GoGoKid Review: Is Teaching for GoGoKid a Scam?
GoGoKid is an online ESL (English as a Second Language) school for children in China. They claim to pay $14 to $25 per hour teaching English online AND tout a $300 bonus. I’m going to “sign up” and see how this all plays out!
In this review, I will tell you all about the opportunity and what it takes to get the bonus!
Here are the qualifications and skills required to teach ESL for GoGoKid:
- Native English speaker
- Bachelor’s Degree or above
- Eligibility to legally work in the United States or Canada
- Minimum one year of teaching experience
- You must be punctual
- Must follow the agreed-upon lesson schedule
These items are desired:
- Experience with utilizing online teaching platform or tools
- ESL Teacher training certifications: TESOL/TESL/TEFL
- Strong communication skills interacting with ESL/EFL students
Here are the device requirements:
- You’ll need a desktop, laptop, MAC, Surface computer
- A headset with a microphone and stable output and input
- HD External camera or HD integrated camera
GoGoKid Application Process
Want to apply? Go here and sign up! Start with your email and create a password. By signing up, you agree to their terms of service.
When you sign up, they send you an email that you need to open and activate. The link they send you will expire in 48 hours, so do it right away!
So now you fill out your information:
Last Month I Made $13,841 Online
Make sure to learn how you can get started for free!
- Legal name
- Are you legally authorized to work in the United States or Canada?
- Will you require sponsorship for employment visa status, for example, H-1B Visa Status?
- What is your highest level of education?
- Phone number
- Contact email for interview follow-ups (You can use a different email than what you used to sign up.)
- Length of teaching experience (0-6 months IS an option in the drop down menu!)
- What kind of experience do you have teaching K-12? (I almost selected ‘None of the above,’ and I almost missed that ‘I attended K-12 schools’ is an option in this list. Homeschool teaching experience is also on the list.)
- How did you hear about GoGoKid?
- Why do you want to teach online?
When you submit your application, you’ll receive a message stating that you have applied and that the next step is scheduling an interview. During the interview, you’ll be asked to teach a demo lesson which is designed to familiarize you with the GoGoKid platform and teaching materials. You’ll receive details about the interview by email within 48 hours.
I didn’t hear back from them in the 48 hours that they stated. I emailed them a couple of times for more info. Finally, over two weeks later, I did hear back. According to the response, they were waiting for me to schedule my interview.
So I logged back into the portal where I signed up, and there it is, more details about scheduling my interview! They currently have no time slots available to interview, and it says that I should keep checking back. But my suggestion based on this it to definitely log back into the portal after 48 hours and look for the scheduling info. They also have review materials available.
After the interview, it appears you will have an orientation and paperwork, followed by signing a contract.
Note that after completing the application, I found out that a minimum of 1 year of teaching experiences IS required. So even though it’s an option to select ‘None,’ experience is in fact required.
How Much Does GoGoKid Pay?
According to their website, you can make $14 to $25 per hour.
ZipRecruiter has jobs posted for GoGoKid. All are stating $14-$25 per hour, based on your education background, experience, and your interview performance. They are also claiming to have a $300 bonus for new teachers for a limited time.
You will be able to set your own schedule. They provide you with everything you need for your lessons, so preparation is easy.
They say that teachers can work from any location with a computer and Internet access. This makes it sound as though you could even teach from a coffee shop, but you might want to consider a more quiet area.
The following tends to be the most requested time periods in Beijing time: Monday-Friday 6-10 PM, and Saturday-Sunday 9 AM–10 PM. Beijing time is 12 hours ahead of Eastern time zone in the US. So that would be Monday-Friday, 6-10 AM, and Friday-Saturday, 9 PM – 10 AM.
They want you to choose consistent availability within these time frames. If you’re a night owl, or working another job, the weekends could be good for you!
They do 6-month contracts with their ESL teachers.
I didn’t find any feedback on GoGoKid. However, I did find their job listing for ESL teachers on more than one job site. None of the requirements were listed on the actual GoGoKid website. I found them on one of their job listings.
It’s unfortunate because that’s probably why I didn’t hear back from them. And unfortunately, I’m not able to tell you how to get the $300 new teacher bonus.
Is Online Teaching for GoGoKid a Scam?
While I don’t think GoGoKid is a scam, I was not able to find all of the info I would like to have. I submitted my application and followed that up with 2 separate emails, and it took 2 weeks to hear back from them. All I know is that the $300 bonus “is possible after you have passed the interview and become one of their regular teachers.”
If you have the required experience, give it a shot! Here’s the link to start the application.
If teaching English isn’t for you, check out these helpful links for some other ideas: